Date: 11/10/17 10:28 pm
From: <chrisshuck...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Short-eared Owl and White-tailed Kite convention at Pomo Canyon Trail
Today my son and I hiked the trail that connects the Pomo Canyon Trail, in Sonoma Coast State Park, to the horse trailer parking area near the confluence of Willow Creek and the Russian River, on Willow Creek Road.

At about 1:30 in the afternoon, under overcast conditions, we saw a pair of Short-eared Owls hunting. We had very good looks, as they stayed in the area for a while.

In the same area, we saw 30 White-tailed Kites! This is a definite, precise, stationary count. We counted from a high point, and there was about 1,500 ft. between the two birds that were the farthest out. I'm pretty sure there were even more hidden from view downslope of us. They were dotting the tree tops and a few were hunting.

Cell phone pics and coordinates of one of the Short-eared Owls can be found at https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/8757590 https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/8757590 and a group of eight of the kites can be seen at https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/8757826 https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/8757826.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/8757826
Chris Shuck - Santa Rosa

Join us on Facebook!