Date: 11/10/17 7:37 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (10 Nov 2017) 150 Raptors

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Mike Gardner

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Jim Balint, Mike Gardner, Pam Green, Jim Green.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy to Mostly Sunny (75-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 24,000-30,000
ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 45 - 33F, Winds NNW @ 15 - 25 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (65) and Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“232 Fields”---

Jim was out today doing some site maintenance, including a fine job of
scalping the ground beneath our feeders of the ground cover. I didn’t know
that you too, had native-American blood coursing through your veins, Buddy!

First raptor today was a Harrier. There were several more throughout the
morning. Today followed the pattern of several recent days – a strong
morning flight, followed by a slow afternoon.

Today was an absolutely shockingly frigid day. I was not quite ready for
the adjustment required. Don’t you know, Mike showed up, picking today to
do some work on our grill. He got the stove working, the grill is still a
patient. I was chatting with Kathleen as Mike was finishing up. She said
I should offer Mike some “field brew” for his efforts. Seemed appropriate
to me – “field brew” for coming to work on stove we use to make it, Mike.
It would be the fruit of your labor, so to speak. I did as requested…
“I’ll pass.” Said Mike.
“Ouch!” replied the Barista… But thanks so much, Mike.

Mike remained throughout this cold day, spotting some of the hawks. There
were several flocks of very high, distant geese migrating today. As the
skies cleared, these flocks became difficult to find - even more difficult
to get others on. We were ever hopeful of Brant or Snow Geese. The final
flock appeared far to our northeast and very high with but a single small
cloud in the sky to the far west to use as a reference point to describe
how to find it. Desperate to get Mike on it (and for a laugh), I looked
clear across the sky and using hawk-watcher lingo estimated thusly…
“It’s 232 fields of view to the right of our cloud.”
“I got it!” Mike replied!
“Yeah, right!” Would you believe him? Neither did I…
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
3-Common Loon, 2-COMMON RAVEN, 12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0): Dragonflies (0): Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 1.3; Steps: 3,049; Floors: 8.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 41; this season: 133
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks okay with lighter, more comfortable winds from the
north and clouds developing thru the day. Perhaps, we'll get to
participate in the bounty of Golden Eagles of other regional watches this
week. We've had none of those and are due.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek