Date: 11/10/17 6:53 pm
From: 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Late Common Nighthawks
Hello All-

Mary Porter's earlier report about the Hooded Mergansers returning to the Airport Marsh on Dauphin Island reminded me that winter is here. However, last night as I was riding my bike past UAB's Jefferson Tower in downtown Birmingham I observed two Common Nighthawks plying the skies above the floodlights - reminding me that the birds of summer haven't all left. I wondered if the nighthawks were finding insects, and during the course of my 1.5 hour ride I had my answer. One bug hit my lip and another hit my cheek, which is better than last week when one entered my mouth but thankfully never made it past my two front teeth, lol!

Lastly, on my route home this evening I rode through Railroad Park, which is also in downtown Birmingham, and observed a Great Blue Heron - a first for me, personally, and according to eBird also a first for the park.

Take care, all. Greg

Gregory J. Harber
Birmingham, AL
<gharber...>
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Tom Robbins

Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)