Date: 11/10/17 6:05 pm
From: James F Flynn Jr <jim.flynn...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Lake Lanier, 11/10/2017
Hi, folks, I didn't quite have the variety or numbers at Lake Lanier late
this afternoon as Walt & Mason had at West Point Lake, but there was a nice
mix of species. The American White Pelicans were certainly one of the
highlights. I first picked them over Lanier Islands as they were heading
south toward the dam. As they got closer, they veered to the west & circled
a small island off of West Bank Park (where I was), finally landing on the
island.

A bit more interesting was a flock of 13 Common Terns foraging over a small
group of loons off of the east end of West Bank Park. The flock appeared
seemingly out of nowhere, and spent about 20 minutes picking off bait fish
school that the loons were working and cruising around the bays east & south
of the park.

Here are the highlights:

Northern Shoveler: 1 male

Gadwall: 7 (2 males, 5 females)

American Wigeon: 2 (male & female)

Green-winged Teal: 1 female

Lesser Scaup: 2 females

Pied-billed Grebe: 4

Horned Grebe: 2

American Coot: 84

Bonaparte's Gull: 7

Ring-billed Gull: 40

Herring Gull: 2 adults

Common Tern: 13 (mix of adults & imms)

Common Loon: 19

Double-crested Cormorant: 61 (most were flyovers in small groups of 4 - 20)

American White Pelican: 8

Bald Eagle: 1 sub-adult

Take care,

Jim Flynn