Date: 11/10/17 5:59 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (09 Nov 2017) 160 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 160 810 13610

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi, Steve Nuttle

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Steve Nuttle, Kathleen Pileggi, Kathleen Rengert, Julie
Engiles, Nolan Morris, Anna Altieri.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Weather:
Mostly Sunny to Partly Sunny (10-70% cloud cover), Ceiling - 4,800-5,200
ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 43 - 53F, Winds NE-SE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-4
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“It’s a Cessna, Steve”---

I arrived at my site, finding Steve already there. Instantly – and
tragically, before I even began sipping any coffee – there were hawks and
vultures moving everywhere! I was not ready for this onslaught… quick,
where’s my “field brew?”

Close at hand, a Kestrel was on our MOTUS tower, eating a Praying Mantis.
Is it too late to pray, prey? (sorry)

With seemingly a hundred vultures and hawks in the air constantly all
morning, it was odd to have a short duration with none in view anywhere,
even upon scanning. That very soon passed. We had good numbers of
Red-shouldered, Red-tailed and Sharpies, with a few Bald Eagles and
Harriers thrown in…you know, for variety, to keep things “fresh.”

Julie came with coffee… I guess fearing we’d be out of “field brew.” (Or
perhaps, dash the thought, just fearing the “field brew” itself?) Fear
not, Julie! Fear not….

A very late Monarch was seen overhead, thrilling us all. HURRY fella,
don’t linger here. There are miles to go before you rest!!! Besides,
there’s no field brew here and Julie isn’t sharing her bounty!

Then there was this “gem”:
“What’s this flying out here with the vultures?” asked an excited Steve,
pointing to our north. “I think it’s another Bald Eagle!” Off flew
Steve’s western hat….a weathered, seen-better-days, horribly worn and
scarred beauty (and so was the hat!!) (Got you, Steve!)
I looked, seeing nothing but a lot of Turkey Vultures and a….
“It’s a Cessna, Steve.” I laughed. “But look, the pilot is bald! So,
partial ‘full-partial credit’ to you! You had better put your hat back on,
Steve. It’ll warm the gray matter. Keep that ‘mental-furnace’ of yours
ever so keen and sharp.”
Steve smirked while reaching for his fine western had and bandana, straight
out of a Clint Eastwood movie. “Go ahead…make my day” Steve said, with an
appropriate snarl.
You could be a body-double, Steve, for Clint…if it wasn’t for that
body-thing! Maybe when Clint’s 110 years old, it could work – with makeup…
I know, you’ll be the body-double in “Dirty Harry XXXV” (by then, “Filthy
Harry”) or “The Good, the Bad, and the (very) Ugly?” A new career is born.
I knew Steve back when he was but a…… But the hat…the hat is ready now!

The flight ended as suddenly as it had begun, and sadly, appearing to
coincide with Kathleen’s arrival. Bad timing, Kathleen! I tried hard to
get you here earlier! Never fear, Kathleen, your “Golden curse” will soon
be over – I feel a Golden Eagle coming on! The trouble is there were just
a few hawks moving through the afternoon.

Nolan arrived, late in the day, with Anna in tow. This was the first time
Kathleen & I met Anna. They make a splendid-looking couple. She’s great!
Nice job, Nolan! You “out-kicked your coverage,” Buddy! Big time!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Ring-billed Gull, 1-Belted Kingfisher, 1-Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
2-COMMON RAVEN, 12-White-crowned Sparrow, 1-Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Monarch - 1. Dragonflies (0):
Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.48; Steps: 10,520; Floors: 8.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 44; this season: 133
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a good day with strong winds from the
northwest
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: