Date: 11/10/17 5:25 pm
From: Ronald- Thorn <Tronthorn...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Ancient Murrelets and Clay-colored Sparrow

On November 7, after getting back in town being out of the state I headed for a seawatch at Pigeon Point. There was good
visibility. The sea was calm making it easy to pick-out the small alcids over the water. The number of southbound loons
and Surf Scoters have increased since my last visit to Pigeon Point.

Below is just a partial list of birds seen

Northern Pintail ( 1 south )
White-winged Scoter ( 1 south, the first I have noted this fall )
Surf Scoter ( 1,120 south, most were males )
Lesser Scaup ( 5 south )
Common Goldeneye ( 4 south, first I have noted this fall )
Red-breasted Merganser ( 2 south, the first I have noted this fall )
Common Loon ( 54 south )
Red-throated Loon ( 400 south )
Pacific Loon ( 670 south )
Sooty/Short-tailed Shearwater ( 1 at the horizon )
Bonaparte's Gull ( 17 south )
Pomarine Jaeger ( 2 )
ANCIENT MURRELET ( 2 together south, the first I have noted this fall )
Marbled Murrelet ( 7 north )
Cassin's Auklet ( 1 landed on the water )
Rhinoceros Auklet ( 41 north )

The leucistic Black Oystercatcher that has been noted in the area for several years was with other Black Oystercatchers on
the rock below the lighthouse.

The field along Pigeon Point Road, there were ( 3,000 ) blackbirds. Most were male Tricolored Blackbirds.

A Burrowing Owl was south of Bolsa Point.

It is GREAT to see all the sightings of Loggerhead Shrikes in the county. It has been since the eighties that so many have been
reported from the county. A new location for another Loggerhead Shrike was along Reservoir Road near Pescadero.

Today at Coyote Point, there was a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW foraging with other sparrows in the Sweet Fennel patches
near the freshwater marsh.

Ron Thorn

Join us on Facebook!