Date: 11/10/17 2:59 pm
From: Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [LACoBirds] Help with ID of Hawk near LA River ..Zone-tailed Hawk or ?
Merryl,

Just to amplify what Jim Pike said... I sent the eBird link to this photo to a couple of eBird reviewers for L. A. County and they (and I) are all in agreement the bird fits a dark morph "Harlan's" subspecies of Red-tailed Hawk. Maybe not as rare as a Zone-tailed Hawk in the county, but a very rare coastal occurrence for this Red-tail subspecies (which is quite a scarce late fall/winter visitor anywhere in southern California).

The bird seems to have atypical Red-tail shape. I can't explain the described Turkey Vulture-like flight appearance, apart from the general similarity in plumage pattern. I would expect a dark morph Rough-legged Hawk to have a smaller bill, more slender wings, and a slightly different underwing pattern.

Kimball

Kimball L. Garrett
Ornithology Collections Manager
900 Exposition Blvd.