Date: 11/10/17 1:55 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Surf Scoter and Long-tailed Duck continue in Preston and Tucker Counties; swan song for swans
I did a long tour of lakes in Preston, Tucker, Grant, and Mineral Counties
today, with the following results.

All the Tundra Swans seen recently have apparently moved on. I found only 1
at Alpine Lake in Preston County, though the security guard indicated there
had been hundreds there the last couple of days.

Fairfax Pond-Rehe Wildlife Management Area, Preston County:

Wood Duck--1
Gadwall--4
Mallard--2
Lesser Scaup--1
Bufflehead--4
Hooded Merganser--9
Pied-billed Grebe--7
Belted Kingfisher--1
Eastern Bluebird--8
Yellow-rumped Warbler--5

Terra Alta Lake, Preston County:

Bufflehead--3

Alpine Lake, Preston County, during light snow:

Canada Goose--24
Tundra Swan--1
Mallard--6
Ring-necked Duck--22
Bufflehead--36
Surf Scoter--1 continuing female found by David Daniels a few days ago
Hooded Merganser--7
Ruddy Duck--71
Common Loon--1
Pied-billed Grebe--15
Horned Grebe--3
Belted Kingfisher--1

Davis Water Treatment Plant, Tucker County:

Mallard--4
Ring-necked Duck--5
Lesser Scaup--3
Bufflehead--1
Long-tailed Duck--1 female, oddly, sitting on the shore and preening and
looking around. Found yesterday by Herb Myers.
Ruddy Duck--3

Pendleton Lake, Blackwater Falls State Park, Tucker County:

Canada Goose--15
Hooded Merganser--1
Pied-billed Grebe--1
Swamp Sparrow--1

Mount Storm Lake, Grant County:

Nothing. Steam was rising from most of the lake, totally obscuring
visibility.

New Creek Lake, Oakdale Road, Grant County:

Common Loon--1
Double-crested Cormorant--1

Jennings Randolph Lake entrance road, Mineral County:

Dark-eyed Junco--65 in 5 different flocks flushed from roadside
Chipping Sparrow--2

Jennings Randolph Lake, which is legally in Maryland:

Common Loon--1

--
Terry Bronson
Morgantown, WV