Date: 11/10/17 12:48 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: I've seen better
Rate this photo?

When I clicked on Mike's blog link http://www.surfbirds.com/commu
nity-blogs/northcoastdiaries/
I wondered, is this really a 'bad' Wood Duck photo, as Mike labeled it?
Well sure, although small, it's clearly not a Wood Duck photo, it's a Great
Blue Heron photo.

But then I clicked to get the photo's web address and then entered that
into the browser.

https://download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/26648651/900

Bingo, the original photo was actually 2x larger (but had been reduced by
the blog editor software)
and it showed the Wood Duck looking down on the Great Blue Heron from a
superior position.
What a great photo. Although identifying the duck, or even the heron,
before enlargement
is not completely obvious it's thus a sort of bird quiz Or a test for
careful observation (which I failed).
But, more than that it shows a lot about behavior, habitat, etc. The date
of the photo was not given in
Mike's blog post so I wondered if it was taken in early spring, when Wood
Ducks would be searching for nesting holes.
I'm sure on the web one could find many dozens of excellent Wood Duck
photos, even females, so adding one more would not
be a major breakthrough. But this photo is. So, in my view, this is a
'great' photo, I'm glad I got to see
it and only wish I had taken it.

Bob OBrien

PS I do have some experience with nest-hole-hunting Wood Ducks. One time
I heard some scratching and opened the door of
a wood stove connected through the wall by an inverted L-shaped stove
pipe. A female Wood Duck flew out.