Date: 11/10/17 7:02 am
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Red Crossbill update
Hi Birders,

Just to keep folks updated, the Red Crossbill invasion to our west is
continuing pretty dramatically. Western flight call Types (2, 3, 4, and in
a few cases 5) are still heading east in big numbers. In the last week a
few birds have started to trickle into northern Ohio, and crossbills are
also filtering in to central Texas. Missouri and Kansas are overflowing
with crossbills.

Here at home, crossbills were reported from the northeast part of
Massachusetts in recent days. With today's dramatic weather system, I am
hoping we get a few more birds.

This time of year the crossbills will prefer spruces--Red and Norway--if
they are available. Massachusetts has quite a few large plantings of
Norway Spruces in the western part of the state, in particular in the
Windsor & Savoy areas, and also October Mountain State Forest. Norway
Spruces are laden with cones in some of these areas, and well worth a
look. White pines currently may hold some seed and therefore birds, and a
bit later in the season pitch and red pine may play a role.

good luck and good birding

Tim Spahr
Marlborough
<tspahr44...>