Date: 11/9/17 6:58 pm
From: Don Albright <donalbright...>
Subject: [obol] Yamhill County: Tree Swallow and Eurasian Wigeons
This morning at the wetlands along North Valley Road, in northern Yamhill County between Newberg and Gaston, I saw a male EURASIAN WIGEON swimming with a large group of American Wigeons and assorted other ducks.  Most of the ducks, including the Eurasian, were on the northern pond there, which is very difficult to view without completely blocking a driveway.  No shoulders on North Valley Road.
Late this afternoon I visited the settling ponds adjacent to the shuttered paper mill on the south side of Newberg, along Dog Ridge Road.  There I saw two more male EURASIAN WIGEONS swimming with the Americans on the south pond.  More surprising was a TREE SWALLOW perched on a power line near the parking area, and occasionally flying over the ponds. The light wasn't the best for viewing, but I got good enough views that I was fairly confident I wasn't looking at a Violet-green Swallow.  There is no public access to these ponds, but they can be viewed through the fence by parking at a pull-off along Dog Ridge Road, just south of where that road takes off of Wynooski Road.
Don AlbrightNewberg, <Oregondonalbright...>

Join us on Facebook!