Date: 11/9/17 3:39 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Red-shafted Crossbill
Here's a picture of a Red-shafted Longbill:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/27808138022/in/dateposted/
Only saw it once at my feeder so I suspect the tongue wasn't long enough
for the bill and it starved.

Karl Schneck

"As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but
nature's sources never fail." John Muir

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 9:50 AM, <pnitens...> wrote:

> A couple of days ago I noticed an interesting Northern Flicker on Powell
> Butte (Multnomah):
> http://qfwfq.org/powellbutte/northern-flicker-20171107.jpg
>
> It seems like that kind of bill would limit some activities that I'd have
> thought were innate for Flickers, such as drumming or building nesting and
> roosting cavities. I can imagine it could pose some feeding challenges too.
>
> Tait
> Portland

Join us on Facebook!