Date: 11/9/17 12:20 pm
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Indigo Bunting - Westlands Park (Arapahoe)
I made a short visit to Westlands Park in Greenwood Village (Arapahoe)
early this morning (11/9) to pursue a Greater White-fronted Goose that
another birder found there yesterday. Geese came and went. Lots of
Cackling, but I didn't get the White-fronted. On a lark, I took a short
walk up the unimpressive trail leading past some pines and a little grassy
brush that separates the park from a private residence. In that grass was a
juvenile Indigo Bunting, chipping incessantly and picking seeds. This is my
first Indigo in Arapahoe Co. and the state. This bird was on my "wish list"
for my local birding circle. I'd picked out a few open, brushy fields along
the High Line Canal as places where I might see it. I never figured it'd be
at Westlands, which is as plain a park as there is in the area.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WHI3i2dlZQU/WgS29c9I6WI/AAAAAAAANx8/KI0Sn0i1ixwyySnlTHhBZLWoLIrI9lCjQCLcBGAs/s1600/DSC_0711%2BBunting.jpg>

(Thanks to Steve Mlodinow & Tony Leukering for confirming this bird.)

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO