Date: 11/9/17 11:32 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone S.P., Boat Launch, Nov 9, 2017
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <ebird-checklist...>
Date: Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 2:18 PM
To: <jimandjudyphillips...>

Bluestone S.P., Boat Launch, Summers, West Virginia, US
Nov 9, 2017 10:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
14 species

Canada Goose 53
Bufflehead 3
Common Loon 1
Double-crested Cormorant 3
Great Blue Heron 1
Bald Eagle 1 adult
Bonaparte's Gull 27 Viewed through 20-60x scope. All birds remained on
the water swimming in a line. Spot on head was very noticeable. Way smaller
than the herring gulls we saw last evening. A little bigger than the common
terns that were with them. This is the highest count I have ever had for
this species around here.
Common Tern 14 Birds observed through 20-60x scope. wings were long &
pointy like a tern rather than a gull. most of the birds had dark primaries
toward the end of the wing & forked tails. Did typical gull flight and
feeding slap into the water. They were flying around the group of swimming
Bonaparte's gulls for size comparison. When a boat approached the terns all
flew around the bend away from it and the gulls stayed where they were.
Last week I transported an injured common tern to the Three Rivers Avian
Center in Brooks, WV. They released that bird near where these birds were.
So, they have been around recently.
Belted Kingfisher 1
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1