Date: 11/9/17 11:19 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden & A Bad Backache! Thursday 11-9-17
Hello Bird People,

Today the plan was to look for Crossbills & Redpolls at the Botanic
Garden & then head to the Fort Sheridan Hawk Watch as the winds were
favorable for hawk migration. But by 9:30 a.m. I suddenly found myself
with a pretty bad backache & for no apparent reason either. Sat on a
bench for 30 min but that did not make things better so I skipped the
hawk watch & went home as I need to be ready for the long Illinois
Beach field trip on Saturday which will feature a long walk on tough
surfaces.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:20-10:50 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (5, scattered)
D.C. Cormorant (only 1 left & at the B.Brown Pond)
Canada Goose (3 groups for a total of 355)
Mallard (36)
Gadwall (1-M & 4-F all at the B.Brown Pond)
Hooded Merganser (2-M also at the B.Brown Pond)
NORTHERN HARRIER (1-F huntng)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-AD soaring)
Coots (7 in 1 group)
Ring Billed (2) & Herring (4) Gulls
Rock Pigeon (1 fly-by)
Mourning Dove (also 1 fly-by)
Belted Kingfisher (1 diving in the backwaters area)
Downy Woodpecker (heard 1)
Flicker (heard 1)
Blue Jay (2)
Chickadee (4)
W.B. Nuthatch (heard 1)
Robins (8-10)
MARSH WREN (1, only found it as it was busy making scolding sounds &
finally came into view)
Dark Eyed Junco (6-8)
PINE SISKIN (12-14)
Goldfinch (25-30)
House Sparrow (3-4)
In addition to no Crossbills & Redpolls there were no remaining Great
Blue Herons & Wood Ducks either which was somewhat surprising.

Along with roadside Starlings I only saw 26 species today on my pain
shortened day.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the late Marsh Wren & Runner-Up to the Northern Harrier.
Fancy Pants Bird Of The Day to the always nice looking Hooded Mergs.

License Plate Of The Day to one from North Dakota parked by the Half
Priced Books store.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>