Date: 11/9/17 11:08 am
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Wet, Water Birds
This morning I revisited Canaan Valley and Davis since it is cloudy and
raining again. Was there more fallout? The sandpipers seen yesterday are
gone except for many Killdeer.

I was most excited at the Davis Water Treatment Pond. The first birds I saw
where three Bonaparte's Gulls spinning and feeding on the water. Then I
noticed a Mallard pair along with six Wood Ducks (2 males and four
females). I was about to move on when I saw a rather large white and black
duck on the edge of the pond across from me. It was a *Long-tailed Duck*! I
was able to get some photos to prove it. At the back of the pond, there
were six Lesser Scaup (2 males and 4 females) and three Ruddy Ducks.

At North or Mallow Lake there were six Buffleheads (2 males and 4 females)
and at least 30 Canada Geese. One had an unusual looking head - leucistic,
I guess.

In the Canaan Valley Resort State Park, there were two Canada Geese on the
new ponds on the left when entering the park. On the beaver pond below the
lodge, there were 31 Mallards of both sexes and at least 29 Canada Geese.
On the settling ponds below the lodge were 6 Wood Ducks (male and female),
3 Northern Pintail, 4 Green-winged Teal and two Buffleheads.

It was a wet but exciting morning! Herb Myers, Harman, Randolph County from
Tucker County

Join us on Facebook!