Date: 11/9/17 10:52 am
From: Lena Gallitano <lbg...>
Subject: Baltimore Orioles & Migratory Bird Treaty Act
Good afternoon Carolinabirders,

The first Baltimore Oriole I saw in my yard here in Raleigh was on November
17, 2002 - the first day I started Project Feeder Watch as encouragement to
take time and do more birding at home. It was eating from a ground feeder
(a behavior never to be seen again) but then flew up to a saucer nectar
feeder I had failed to take in where it got a taste of some sour nectar. I
raced out and cleaned the nectar feeder and for the last 15 years I've had
Baltimore Orioles spend the winter with me. Now they get grape jelly and
nectar! The numbers have ranged from 2 - 13 throughout most of the winter
months and I saw 18 one day during migration.

This winter I've seen seven at one time and I'm pretty sure I can document
the decline due to habitat destruction from the in-fill homes here in my
neighborhood where the builders remove all the trees.

Baltimore Orioles are one of our migrating birds and I remember seeing one
along with a Rose-breasted Grosbeak sitting in a treetop in Panama. Maybe
a couple of others on this Carolinabirds will remember them too. I have no
doubt the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act has offered Baltimore Orioles and
hundreds of other species protection along their migratory routes over the
last 99 years. While Baltimore Orioles are not as widespread or iconic as
other birds that have been protected by the MBTA, they certainly do bring
color and joy to my winter days.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act is now under threat from a bill, HR 4239, in
the House of Representatives. It was reported out of committee and needs
to be stopped. I hope every birder and birdwatcher will call and/or email
their representative to speak up for bird protection. Here is a link to a
National Audubon Society with more information and on the right side of the
page an Action Alert.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.audubon.org_news_congresswoman-2Dliz-2Dcheney-2Dintroduces-2Dbird-2Dkiller-2Damendment&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=cjg8w6Ac5L4EAdWb3ubiwbOlzhswz8JBkWe0U29rwhs&s=f9ui4on0r5itWOiFPVgVUkzOLkOxXAhAJMIeNuSUZiw&e=

Please help me spread the word about this attack on our birds. Contact me
personally if you want to discuss further.

Good birding,

Lena Gallitano
Raleigh, NC

Join us on Facebook!