Date: 11/9/17 7:31 am
From: Warblerick <ricksussman1955...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Several good yard birds
Yesterdays (Nov.8) good finds included a pair of immature Bald Eagles flying in from the east (in the direction of Piney Run reservoir), chasing each other and vocalizing, low enough for me to hear their squabbling. Also saw another adult Bald Eagle circling with a Turkey Vulture. Had 4 Pileated Woodpeckers, 3 of which were eating wild grapes in the trees along the back yard. Saw my FOS Golden-crowned Kinglets, briefly before they flitted away, and also have lately been seeing a Belted Kingfisher by my neighbors pond. Had Red-shouldered, Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks in and over the yard.
This morning, in the overcast and light drizzle, a MERLIN came whipping across the back meadow in pursuit of a smallish bird (bluebird or chipping sparrow), did a flip-stall just above the treetops, then flew off into the top of another tree, where I got nice long (well, long in Merlin terms) looks for a couple minutes before it took off again, heading across my neighbors fields.
Good birding,
Rick Sussman
Woodbine,
SW Carroll County