Date: 11/9/17 7:13 am
From: Hal Michael <ucd880...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Slate-colored Junco
DE Juncos are both resident and migratory. A couple decades ago I had a partially leucistic individual that returned to the feeder for a day or two on almost the same date, a year apart. Migrating through. We have many local birds at our place that nest and are probably resident. Then, the migratory ones pas through.

Over the years we have had a variety of migratory species visit but often only once and for a few minutes of our viewing. Unless you watch 24/7/365 the migrants can easily pass through unseen. This is especially true of the species/subspecies that are not common. We actually look a teeny-tiny bit of the environment.

Glad you saw the Slate-colored. I have never gotten one to band but have had a few visit the feeders over the decades.

I was hunting/visiting friends in Goldendale one winter and they had a bunch of Slate-coloreds at their seed supply. No idea if this was normal or I just got lucky.

Hal Michael
Science Outreach Director, Sustainable Fisheries Foundation
Olympia WA
360-459-4005
360-791-7702 (C)
<ucd880...>