Date: 11/9/17 3:34 am
From: 'Willick, Doug' <doug.willick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Santiago Park, relatively minor highlights
While birding at Santiago Park (in northeastern Santa Ana), on Wednesday (11/8/17), with Shawn Nielsen, we had a few birds of interest. One was presumably a continuing female type Summer Tanager in the "Nature Reserve" part of the park (i.e., roughly the eastern half of the park). The bird was about a 100 yards east of the visitor center. On 11/3/17, while birding the western portion of Santiago Park, I also had a female type Summer Tanager behind (south of) the Lawn Bowling facility; this location is more than a quarter mile west of where the tanager was seen on the 8th. Last winter there were two Summer Tanagers that wintered at the park (both female types, and both seen together on a few occasions, in the same tree). So it appears that at least Summer Tanager has returned (and possibly two) for another winter. Also on the 8th , a drab "Solitary"-type vireo was present in the nature reserve, in the same general area where the Summer Tanager was seen (about 100 yards east of the visitor center). Based on a fairly lengthy study, I felt the bird was likely a Plumbeous Vireo, but after reviewing photos of the bird taken by Shawn, I'm not completely certain that Cassin's could be eliminated. Our views were not in the best light, so . . . hopefully this bird will stick around a while and someone can get better looks/photos of the bird to make a more positive ID.

Doug Willick
Orange, CA

Join us on Facebook!