Date: 11/8/17 9:23 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Yellow-rumped Warbler at Feeder
Hi Jane,

When you think of it in proportion to how abundant the species is, it is extremely unusual for any one individual. Yellow-rumped Warbler is the most abundant warbler in some places at certain times of the year, it’s fairly common to run into flocks of dozens, sometimes hundreds. If eating from suet feeders was a common behavior for them, we’d all be running out of suet really, really fast. They don’t like suet *that* much. But every now and then, one Yellow-rump out of a hundred or a thousand does get a taste for suet, so it’s not so unusual to have one show up at feeders for a snack. Just do a Google image search for “yellow-rumped warbler suet” and you’ll see plenty of examples. On an individual warbler basis, I think Pine Warblers are probably more prone to eat suet than Yellow-rumps, but Yellow-rumps are just a heck of a lot more common in general.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA
http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

> On Nov 8, 2017, at 4:32 PM, Jane Moosbruker <jamoos...> wrote:
>
> The last 2 days I have had a YRW at my suet feeded in
> Acton. He was not associating with other birds. I have never seen this
> before. Is it unusual??
>

> Jane Moosbruker, Ph.D.
> <Jamoos...> <mailto:<Jamoos...>

Join us on Facebook!