Date: 11/8/17 8:37 pm
From: Doug Jenness <d_jenness...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ: San Carlos Lake
11/8/17

Today Keith Kamper, Dave Pearson, and I had an enjoyable day at San Carlos Lake east of Globe.

The highlights of our trip included a first-cycle ICELAND GULL (Thayer's subspecies), a first for this location, a first-winter HERRING GULL, a BONAPARTE'S GULL, and at least 100 RING-BILLED GULLS. Amazing looks at a SURF SCOTER near the Coolidge dam and an unusually large total of 21 RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS were also among the day's special sightings. A wide variety of waterfowl were present including 2 GREATER SCAUP, 2 SNOW GEESE, and 6 CANADA GEESE. Among shorebirds were 35 AMERICAN AVOCETS and around 120 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS. Photos of the Iceland Gull were shared with others and this seemed to be the considered identification of others. The report will be submitted to the Arizona Bird Committee.

On our return Keith and I stopped at the Mammoth sewage ponds and spotted two immature SNOW GEESE.

Doug