Date: 11/8/17 7:54 pm
From: 'Denise Hamilton' <napabirders...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Lazy Woman's Backyard Big Day count, Napa
Hi all,

Didn’t plan on trying to count all my yard birds for the day when I got up this morning, but it started off with a SAY’S PHOEBE, and a FOX & WHITE-THROATED SPARROW. I went out to do some pruning and a KILLDEER flies over, a NORTHERN FLICKER & NUTTALL’S WOODPECKER call. Then I hear the ‘wuck-wuck’ call of a PILEATED WOODPECKER. It is flying barely 3 feet above the street, lands in a Chinese Pistache tree for berries, and then over to a power pole. CEDAR WAXWINGS & YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS are all over, along with WHITE & GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS. A MERLIN (I believe Pacific/Black) lands on top of a redwood. A lone PURPLE FINCH comes for a bath, and my First-of-Season RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET shows up; then a SONG SPARROW. Later in the afternoon when the BREWER’S BLACKBIRDS start to flock, a lone RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD & 3 BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS join them.

Started at 8:00 am and finished up at 4:15 pm, just spending some extra time looking out windows or going outdoors off and on in between chores.

Total species 36! Best ever counts were 37 species on 2/10/06 & 12/22/07. If the usual, but missing Mourning Dove, Oak Titmouse, & Hermit Thrush had showed up, it would have been my best day ever.

Complete Ebird list (with some pictures) is at: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40386897

Fun way to spend a day at home!

Denise Hamilton
Napa