Date: 11/8/17 7:31 pm
From: Tom Wilberding <twilberding...>
Subject: [cobirds] Tropics and tundra, Chatfield Reservoir, Douglas County
Hello birders,

Enjoyed birding this morning at Chatfield with CFO Treasurer, Michael
Kiessig. At the Marina sand spit we spotted a juvenile Sanderling. Then, at
the first stump up the beach, Michael spotted an American Tree Sparrow. So
there you have it--tropical bird and tundra bird together. November in
Colorado is interesting!

As we returned from the sand spit Michael noticed a Western Grebe on the
shore. "It appears to have health issues." He calmly walked up to the bird,
noticed it was tangled in fishing line, so he took a multi-tool out of his
pocket, knelt down, and proceeded to extricate the poor grebe from its
nylon straight jacket. Michael is an experienced bander, and as such is
good at extrication.

As CFO President David Gillilan wrote in his recent column in *Colorado
Birds*, it is hard to say which is more fun being around--Colorado birds or
Colorado birders. The answer is BOTH!

Tom Wilberding
Littleton, CO

P.S. On a more somber note, we noticed foresters painting the trunks of
trees to be cut down near the shore at Chatfield. Tree removal will begin
soon as part of Denver Water's 3 year project to raise Chatfield's water
level 12 feet. If you want to see the old Chatfield, now's the time.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2taKTkgBrlE/WgPK5UirsfI/AAAAAAAAAk0/MU7fS-31UjQPhl4JbVNhw_ZF2rOtkcb-gCLcBGAs/s1600/_V6A1766.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M3dssOF_BG8/WgPKxRmTw2I/AAAAAAAAAkw/iGXsvHqdrTo3-6dGHo1XFn19sWiTAND5gCLcBGAs/s1600/_V6A1767.jpg>