Date: 11/8/17 3:42 pm
From: Jennifer Rycenga <gyrrlfalcon...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Rock Wren at Crystal Cove; no Common Ground-Dove at Fairview
Dear Orange County Birders - I am visiting Orange county on business, and had only the morning for some quick birding. Needing CALIFORNIA GNATCATCHER for my year list, I headed down to Crystal Cove, where they were in fine and full querulous mewling! I proceeded to the stairs to the beach, where, about half way down, I was surprised by a ROCK WREN. Apparently coastal Rock Wrens are an occasional happening here, but I thought I would mention it in case it is of interest to other visitors and residents.

I also tried for the Common Ground-Doves reported earlier this week at the Vernal pool in Fairview Park, but had no luck. There was a NORTHERN HARRIER and a COOPER’S HAWK, as well as a smart-alecky COMMON RAVEN who enjoyed harassing TURKEY VULTURES. There was another CALIFORNIA GNATCATCHER here, too, near the north end of the Vernal Pool.

Good birding -

Jennifer Rycenga
San Mateo, CA
visit http://birding.sequoia-audubon.org/