Date: 11/8/17 11:39 am
From: Jan Johnson <janbirder...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Harris’s Hawk
I arrived at Niobrara SP about 7:30 a.m. I parked in the campground and walked down to the canal but did not flush the Hawk. After an hour I drove through the park hoping to find it but no luck. By this time Roger Dietrick, a friend, and Paul Roisen and Ed Brogie arrived. Still no Hawk so we split up and went three different directions hoping to find it. Upon my return to the campground around 10 a.m. I had barely gotten out of the car when the Harris’s Hawk flew from across the canal to the east and headed north. I began to walk down to the canal again and as I was doing so it returned flying back into the willow trees on the east bank. Easy to identify large, dark bird with a white rump and rusty shoulder patches. I would have liked a better look but my feet were cold and wet since I hadn’t worn my hiking shoes for damp grass. I left the others to look for the bird again.

Jan Johnson
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bird-brained-quilter/

Posted by: Jan Johnson <janbirder...>

<*> Your email settings: