Date: 11/8/17 10:41 am
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] late (wintering?)Cassin's Vireo, Claremont
There is a standard-issue Cassin's Vireo in sycamores along the western edge of Wheeler Park, Claremont, right now at 10:30 a.m.
I have not previously detected this bird this fall, but I wonder if I need to get here later in the mornings once it is warm. I walked the dog in this same exact neighborhood several hours earlier and there were no passerines. I am not seeing juncos anywhere, so far, this fall.

The lack of sparrows in my neighborhood this fall is amazing.

Hey I would like some input: I had very small, dark raptor sitting deep inside a dense tree, grappling or eating a small passerine. I assumed it was a Sharp shinned Hawk until it fled, when it looked like a dark Merlin. I think of Merlins as eating out in the open, daring anybody to start something. Any thoughts?

Thomas Geza Miko
653 S. Indian Hill Blvd.,#C
Claremont, CA 91711
cell one: 909.241.3300