Date: 11/8/17 10:07 am
Subject: Caspian Tern at Lake Crabtree, NC
It is quite unusual to see a CASPIAN TERN in inland NC in November, but one
was present this morning at Lake Crabtree west of Raleigh. I didn't realize
that Eddie Owens had been by the island, visible from the Southport
entrance, and already seen it two hours before I did (darn!). Also on the
island was my first Bonaparte's Gull of the fall. They can be quite common
in winter; we shall see this winter. A few Ring-billed Gulls were also
around. Sadly, no shorebirds other than Killdeers were on the island.

Waterbirds seen on the lake today, either by Eddie or me, were: Canada
Goose, American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked
Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, and Ruddy Duck; as well as DC Cormorants,
Pied-billed Grebe, and American Coot. Additional species on the lake found
yesterday, by Eddie only, were: Mallard, Hooded Merganser, and Common Loon.

So, even though the lake isn't covered by birds yet, and no rare waterfowl
have been reported there yet this fall, at least it is worth a stop by.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!