Date: 11/8/17 3:05 am
From: Harvey Tomlinson <oddbirdsin...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] The Shorebird Show
Hi Jersey Birders,
I spent a few hours at Stone Harbor Point yesterday and the Shorebird show
(4k) that was reported on Whats App continues.
I walked up over the dune from the parking lot and found 80+ Oystercatchers.
What made them interesting is the 12 birds I photographed that were banded.
Unlike Sanderlings or Semipalmated Sandpipers that have a "flag" the
Oystercatchers have 2 large bands.
One on each leg displaying the same color and number.
Reading the numbers wasn't as easy as I thought it would be and the format
on each band was a bit different from bird to bird.
I started to load them into the Shorebird Resighting web page (http://
bandedbirds.org/ ) and found some of the band numbers were incomplete
meaning I had only gotten part of the number.
I found 3 colors. Black, orange and yellow.
I assume they represent different banding locations but maybe just
individual banders ?
Other species at the Point included: Red Knots, Westerns, Sanderlings,
Semi-Plovers, Black-bellied Plovers, Turnstones, an early Purple Sandpiper,
and the ever present Dunlin.
When leaving I flushed a Yellow-billed Cuckoo along the access road.
I didn't see any of the Orange-crowned Warblers Tom Reed had posted from
the day before.
At least 1 bird always seems to linger into winter there.
Fun time at the Point as always.
Good Birding
Harvey Tomlinson
Del Haven NJ