Date: 11/7/17 5:49 pm
From: Jeanne-Marie Maher <jeannemariemaher...>
Subject: [NHBirds] A day at the beach 11/6
Late report for yesterday, when I decided to head over to see the very impressive King Tide. Long before the tide was full the waves were crashing along beaches and onto the streets. Hampton/Portsmouth marshes seemed to be without marsh at all.
No luck on the recent white eyed vireo and the chat was silent in the misty, showers of the day.
Very few songbirds at all at Odiorne and Goss Farm.
Large flocks of cormorants in flight throughout the day.

However the tide proved interesting in that all the local shorebirds had little place to be, and Seabrook became a haven at and after the peak of the tide.
I had at least 70 black bellied plovers on the beach with well over 300 Dunlin and a small though surprising handful (14) of semipalmated sandpipers clustered together on the beach (one of whom I suspected might be a Western but very little color) see photos.

Ragged neck had one lone Brant sitting on the lawn, with two snow buntings nearby, and 4 more Brant remained in Hampton Harbor (from a few days back) seemingly looking for a place to land (and later found a spot). Long tail ducks seem to be arriving in good numbers, as do the red breasted mergansers and red throated loons.
Heavy rains fortunately held off until I headed home.

Jeanne-Marie
Nashua, NH