Date: 11/7/17 4:13 pm
From: DAVID A LEATHERMAN <daleatherman...>
Subject: [cobirds] Lamar on 7November2017
It rained most of the morning but this afternoon was cold but otherwise OK for going afield. At three different locations (Willow Creek Park (north end), LCC, and Fairmount Cemetery) I had a female Golden-crowned Kinglet.

On 196 about 2 miles e of the Big Timbers Museum in north Lamar were 98 Wild Turkeys in a winter wheat field on the south side of the road, most I think I've ever seen in one group anywhere. They appeared to be building a Thanksgiving float out of crepe paper and downed limbs, held together with discarded sticky Halloween candy.

At LCC on the west side of the road that runs behind the college nw from the dumpsters n of the tennis courts was a young male ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK. It was brown with both mandibles pinkish and a few rosy feathers on the chest with the stripes below being subdued and fairly narrow. It was eating two staples of eastern plains seedeaters at this time of year: Russian-olives and giant ragweed seeds.

Also at LCC were a pair of Northern Cardinals (continuing), a White-throated Sparrow (continuing), flyover bluebirds (sounded Eastern) and flocks of both "White-cheeked" Geese (mostly Canada, fair number of Cackling) and "White" Geese (mostly Snows, some Ross's).

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins