Date: 11/7/17 2:10 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (04 Nov 2017) 113 Raptors
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 04, 2017

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 13 14 314
Osprey 0 0 219
Bald Eagle 4 7 148
Northern Harrier 3 4 76
Sharp-shinned Hawk 16 33 1159
Cooper's Hawk 5 7 138
Northern Goshawk 0 0 14
Red-shouldered Hawk 46 47 106
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 8744
Red-tailed Hawk 20 28 142
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 1
Golden Eagle 0 0 2
American Kestrel 0 0 166
Merlin 0 3 106
Peregrine Falcon 1 2 63
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 5
Unknown Buteo 1 1 5
Unknown Falcon 0 0 4
Unknown Eagle 0 0 1
Unknown Raptor 4 5 46

Total: 113 151 11459

Observation start time: 07:30:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Katrina Fenton

Observers: Andre Moraes, Levi Burford, Mike Gebo, Wayne Byrnes

Visitors:
150

Weather:
The wind began out of the northwest at 15-20mph, dropping to 5-10mph as it
shifted to come out of the northeast by the second half of the
afternoon.The sky gradually filled from 10% cloud cover to 5% empty blue.
Temperatures started at freezing and topped out in the mid 50s.

Raptor Observations:
Give them perfect migration weather and they will fly! At last, we had a
day of light northerly wind after a cold front, the perfect recipe for a
good flight. Red-shouldered Hawks responded in a huge way, pouring through
in such numbers that our season total jumped from roughly half of the
average to above average in a matter of hours. The last red-shouldered to
be counted tied the single day record for Pack, and we watched the last few
migrants settle into the trees for the evening.

Non-raptor Observations:
Non-raptor Migrants:
Canada Goose- 292
Common Merganser- 5
waterbird sp.- 1
Blue Jay- 6
American Crow- 155
American Robin- 3
Eastern Bluebird- 3
Snow Bunting- 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler- 2
Report submitted by Katrina Fenton (<gosknits...>)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=320