Date: 11/7/17 12:27 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Gillson Park Lake Watch #12 & A Better Watch Than Most! Tuesday 11-7-17
Hello Bird People,

Tried yet another Gillson Lake Watch & did better than the previous
ones mainly for 2 reasons which were the wind was more N.E. than
yesterday's north winds & today there were more "lake watchers" of
proven abilities & more watchers often means more birds found. Arrived
at 7:15 a.m. & Ted Wolff was already there & soon we were joined by
Jeff Sanders & John Leonard. Then Craig Taylor also arrived having
tracked down a Redpoll at Montrose earlier in the a.m. Later the 2nd
shift of Vickie S, Davidia K & Scott L arrived & they were still there
when I left at 11 a.m. so perhaps they'll have more to report later
on. Here's my Lake Watch list:

Common Loon (15-20 flying south both high & low)
RED THROATED LOON (1 flying with a Common Loon showing the size
difference & head shape)
Canada Geese (a flock landed in the lake)
TUNDRA SWAN (25-30 flying south in all their "whiteness" but could
have been closer)
Mallard (a few fly-bys)
Redhead (15-20 flying south)
Greater & Lesser Scaup (Total of about 75 with a few of each species
showing which they were)
BLACK SCOTER (1 flying south with 2 W.W. Scoters)
WHITE WINGED SCOTER (2 with the Black Scoter & later 1 with Scaup & Mergansers)
Common Goldeneye (~25 with most flying in small groups of 5 or less)
Red Breasted Mergansers (Even more than yesterday's 500 with maybe as
many as 1000 today)
Ring Billed Gull (~20 on the beach & a few flying)
Herring Gull (15-20 flying over the lake)
And of course another 1000 far away "duck species?" Even with more
east in the wind direction many, many ducks continue to fly by very
far out over the lake.

I should mention that Ted W had 2 LONG TAILED DUCKS go by fairly close
to shore before anyone else arrived. I had hoped to see more but we
did not.

Thanks go to the Red Throated Loon for being so kind as to catch up
with the previously seen Common Loon & then fly with it so we could
see the comparisons we needed to make the I.D.

And so Bird-Of-The-Day for me goes to that Red Throated Loon &
Runner-Up goes to the Tundra Swans & the White Winged Scoters as they
were my 1st Fall sightings. I guess I will also mention that after
almost 4 hours in the wind I was ready to quit for the day. I am
fairly hardy with dealing with the wind & cold but I had had enough
this time.

Al Stokie
Enjoying another Lake Watch in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: