Date: 11/7/17 11:46 am
From: Darlene <dsmyth3...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ: Tucson, Catalina State Park, odd Myiarchus Flycatcher
A curious Myiarchus flycatcher was at Catalina State Park today. I was giving my dog a treat and driving through the area. Of course, I was also looking for birds. In the first picnic area after entering the park, between the restrooms and the Granite Group Area (about 1/2 way) there is a small picnic area. The bird was sitting on a tree close to the right of a table then moved to a tree to the left. It was presenting a profile view. What caught my attention was the bright lemon color of the belly. I know it was a cloudy day, but even so, an Ash-throated Flycatcher is never that yellow. The crest of the bird contrasted quite a lot with the face in color as it was very dark, but it did not look bushy like a Brown-crested Flycatcher. The tail showed a deep brownish rust color…again, I only saw the side view of the bird. It did not match colors that I associate with a Dusky-capped Flycatcher. It flew off toward the Granite Group Area and I never did see it again but I could not stay very long.

As an aside, there is a tall pipe on the tables side of the road in the same vicinity. The pipe is about 4 feet tall and about 4 feet from the edge of the road. It must have a water drip as there was a Gila Woodpecker drinking out of the hole facing the road. Might be a good spot to check for birds in general.

Happy Birding,
Darlene
<dsmyth3...>