Date: 11/7/17 10:33 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Dowitcher ID question
Hi, Bob -

I agree with your assessment, but would like to add one thing:  I think the two photos are of different birds.  The second photo does not seem to show the injury, ant one seems to ave a bit darker base to the bill.  That said, I think they are both Long-billed, the expected species in Oregon at this season.

Wayne
On 11/7/2017 9:13:39 AM, Bob Archer <rabican1...> wrote:
Hi:

Okay what the heck, will try.

1) molting dowitcher this far north this time of year is probably a Long-billed
2)  would like to know exact photo date and location, but inland molting dowitchers are also probably Long-billed
3) my first impression is a longer bill with gentle curve  Long-billed.  At least it is not a male Short-billed
4) seems to be hurt, the injury might have delayed a Short-billed from moving south?
5) the tiny pointed coverts make me think this is a HY bird molting into first basic.  The dark centered scaps would be better for Long-billed. West coast Short-billed are darker though than east coast Short-billed. Tertials look like juvie Long-billed
6) primaries look short, Long-billed
7) would like to see if underwing coverts were white or barred, white would be Long-billed
8) would be nice to hear it call
9)  Long-billed are suppose to have gray wash to breast, Short-billed more spotted, not sure about this bird.

I am leaning Long-billed, do not see much Short-billed here.

Bob Archer
PDX

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 7:12 AM, Joel Geier <joel.geier...> [mailto:<joel.geier...>]> wrote:

Hi all,

Here are a couple of photos of a dowitcher that a visiting birder shared
with Darrel Faxon (see Darrel's note below). I've scrunched down the
image size to make this easier on the OBOL server, hopefully this will
work.

If you're viewing this posting via the ABA page, you'll need to go to
the obol archives at:
https://www.freelists.org/archive/obol/11-2017 [https://www.freelists.org/archive/obol/11-2017]
to see the images. Assuming they post OK ...

Darrel has higher-resolution versions of these images; please contact
him directly if you want to look at those.

Joel

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis