Date: 11/7/17 10:33 am From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> Subject: [obol] Re: Dowitcher ID question
Hi, Bob -
I agree with your assessment, but would like to add one thing: I think the two photos are of different birds. The second photo does not seem to show the injury, ant one seems to ave a bit darker base to the bill. That said, I think they are both Long-billed, the expected species in Oregon at this season.
On 11/7/2017 9:13:39 AM, Bob Archer <rabican1...> wrote:
Okay what the heck, will try.
1) molting dowitcher this far north this time of year is probably a Long-billed
2) would like to know exact photo date and location, but inland molting dowitchers are also probably Long-billed
3) my first impression is a longer bill with gentle curve Long-billed. At least it is not a male Short-billed
4) seems to be hurt, the injury might have delayed a Short-billed from moving south?
5) the tiny pointed coverts make me think this is a HY bird molting into first basic. The dark centered scaps would be better for Long-billed. West coast Short-billed are darker though than east coast Short-billed. Tertials look like juvie Long-billed
6) primaries look short, Long-billed
7) would like to see if underwing coverts were white or barred, white would be Long-billed
8) would be nice to hear it call
9) Long-billed are suppose to have gray wash to breast, Short-billed more spotted, not sure about this bird.
I am leaning Long-billed, do not see much Short-billed here.
Here are a couple of photos of a dowitcher that a visiting birder shared
with Darrel Faxon (see Darrel's note below). I've scrunched down the
image size to make this easier on the OBOL server, hopefully this will
Darrel has higher-resolution versions of these images; please contact
him directly if you want to look at those.
On Mon, 2017-11-06 at 18:12 -0800, <5hats...> [mailto:<5hats...>] wrote:
> Do you have a means of sending photos to OBOL? A friend of mine
> from South Dakota was out here a couple of weeks back, taking photos
> of birds. He sent me one of a dowitcher, the identity of which he was
> uncertain. I would like to forward it to OBOL, but I don't think it
> is in a format that the moderator would find acceptable, and I don't
> know how to put it in such a format. Can you help?