Date: 11/7/17 9:13 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Dowitcher ID question
Hi:

Okay what the heck, will try.

1) molting dowitcher this far north this time of year is probably a
Long-billed
2) would like to know exact photo date and location, but inland molting
dowitchers are also probably Long-billed
3) my first impression is a longer bill with gentle curve Long-billed. At
least it is not a male Short-billed
4) seems to be hurt, the injury might have delayed a Short-billed from
moving south?
5) the tiny pointed coverts make me think this is a HY bird molting into
first basic. The dark centered scaps would be better for Long-billed. West
coast Short-billed are darker though than east coast Short-billed. Tertials
look like juvie Long-billed
6) primaries look short, Long-billed
7) would like to see if underwing coverts were white or barred, white would
be Long-billed
8) would be nice to hear it call
9) Long-billed are suppose to have gray wash to breast, Short-billed more
spotted, not sure about this bird.

I am leaning Long-billed, do not see much Short-billed here.

Bob Archer
PDX

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 7:12 AM, Joel Geier <joel.geier...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here are a couple of photos of a dowitcher that a visiting birder shared
> with Darrel Faxon (see Darrel's note below). I've scrunched down the
> image size to make this easier on the OBOL server, hopefully this will
> work.
>
> If you're viewing this posting via the ABA page, you'll need to go to
> the obol archives at:
> https://www.freelists.org/archive/obol/11-2017
> to see the images. Assuming they post OK ...
>
> Darrel has higher-resolution versions of these images; please contact
> him directly if you want to look at those.
>
> Joel
>
> On Mon, 2017-11-06 at 18:12 -0800, <5hats...> wrote:
> >

> > Joel,
> > Do you have a means of sending photos to OBOL? A friend of mine
> > from South Dakota was out here a couple of weeks back, taking photos
> > of birds. He sent me one of a dowitcher, the identity of which he was
> > uncertain. I would like to forward it to OBOL, but I don't think it
> > is in a format that the moderator would find acceptable, and I don't
> > know how to put it in such a format. Can you help?
> >

> > Darrel
> >

> --
> Joel Geier
> Camp Adair area north of Corvallis