Date: 11/7/17 4:22 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: RBA ZT Hawk in Wash
I believe the Zone-tailed Hawk is a rare but regular winter resident in coastal
southern California. Someone on this list mentioned its detection on the Santa
Barbara CBC 10 years in a row. Detections to the north may follow a pattern.
Caracara sightings have been increasing over the past several decades in
northern California and Oregon. Darrel Faxon pointed out favorable weather
conditions that may have contributed to its appearance at Neah Bay. More
mundane species such as Tree Swallows have often appeared in Oregon in
December when there is a strong weather system straight out of the south,
and they disappear as quickly. I expect the ZTHA did not hang around Neah
Bay. A Hobby showed up there this time of year recently, and actually was
seen by others on subsequent days.
I had a bad habit of dismissing all soaring birds in western Oregon as the
default species--Red-tailed Hawk or Turkey Vulture. After subscribing to Obol
I learned that some people put more effort into the process, carefully examining
these dots in the sky. In retrospect, I used to have a lot of youthful passengers
in the car that were not supportive of spontaneous stops at random locations.
In Florida I had one seven year-old companion and one binocular, which reasonably
enough was around his neck as I was driving. A dot on the horizon occasioned
my attempt to repossess the binocular with excessive alacrity as we were
within the disjunct range of the Caracara. It was in fact a Red-tailed Hawk.
My aggrieved passenger stomped into the recently burned palmetto scrub
shouting,"You practically strangled me for a RED-TAILED HAWK!" He was
clearly quite content to be strangled for a Caracara, which was a proud moment
for a parent, indeed.lpn

On Nov 6, 2017, at 9:04 PM, Alan Contreras wrote:

> there are photos in the ebird list that has been posted. Likewise on the ABA rare birds Facebook site.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

> On Nov 6, 2017, at 9:01 PM, Erick Shore <falconpdx...> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I've been lurking for quite some time and have finally decided to post when I read that someone saw a possible ZTHA at Neah Bay, WA. This seems highly unlikely given their typical range isn't really any further north than Arizona. If anyone can contact the original people who sighted this bird I would like to ask if they considered the possibility that this is far more likely to be a dark morph Harlan's red-tailed hawk than a ZTHA? Any pictures would be great! If this really is a ZTHA, I would consider making the drive from Portland to look for it.
>>

>> Erick Shore
>> Camas, WA

Join us on Facebook!