Date: 11/6/17 5:55 pm
From: DAVID A LEATHERMAN <daleatherman...>
Subject: [cobirds] Baca County today
Janeal Thompson and I headed to Baca County today. Highlights:

1) Road M a few miles w of US287:

Several Lapland Longspurs

Several American Pipits walking the dry roadside, as best we could tell for crickets (live or cadavers).

2) Carrizo Creek Picnic Area and nearby creekbed (just south of Road M about 20 miles w of US287)

Golden-crowned Kinglet (1f, 1m)

Evening Grosbeak (heard a small flock while trying for photos of kinglets, not seen or heard again, drat)

Pinyon Jay (estimate 180 - quite a treat for the ears when they all bombed overhead)

Bewick's Wren (2)

Red-breasted Nuthatch (2)

Ladder-backed Woodpecker (heard)

Yellow-rumped Warbler (few)

Mountain Bluebird (dozens)

Pine Siskin (several)

Canyon Wren (1)

Canyon Towhee (2)

Spotted Towhee (2)

Bald Eagle (1a)

"White" Geese (about 250 total, included a minority of Ross's)

3) Cottonwood Canyon

Cassin's Finch (4f) - at the bottom of the hill when one, traveling e to w, first drives down from Road M into Cottonwood Canyon near the old adobe building

Winter Wren (1) - in the blackberry patch w of the road along the creek where one has been in winters past (not far from the old homestead)

EMPIDONAX FLYCATCHER (quite yellow underneath, medium to long primary extension, bill medium length with mostly yellow lower mandible, "messy" eyering that seemed complete but not particularly "teardrop", head mostly mostly flat to slightly rounded (not peaked or ragged at back), tan wingbars contrasting somewhat strongly with blackish wings, throat gray (not yellow), totally silent, did not respond one iota to any of the various playback we tried. I think immature Yellow-bellied but could be talked into other possibilities in the following order from more likely to least likely: Cordilleran, Hammond's, Least.

Pine Siskins along the road getting sunflowers

Aztec Dancer (Argia nahuana) (in November!)

No Mountain Chickadees, crossbills, Rufous-crowned Sparrows, Woodhouse's Scrub-Jays or roadrunners. In fairness, we were there late in the afternoon.

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins