Date: 11/6/17 5:52 pm
From: Adam Dudley <adam.dudley...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] White-throated sparrow Bay Trail South SanFrancisco
Hi everyone, I managed to do some birding along the Bay Trail near work both this morning and evening. It's been great watching this area regularly over the last few months, seeing species arrive and depart as the seasons change. Fall is in full swing here, with wintering wildfowl and gull populations increasing as well as arriving passerines such as yellow-rumped warblers. For the last few weeks, in the fennel near Genentech there has been an increasing number of sparrows, and a regular WILSON'S WARBLER. He was still there today (see eBird checklist from this morning for Wilson's warbler photos http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40342200). There has also been a regular male MERLIN here and at other nearby Bay Trail hotspots, and this morning he was very active, flying up and down the creek and nearby shoreline.

This afternoon I took a stroll along the Bay near Haskins Way after work. The tide was just falling, and the duck (shoveler, green-winged teal, wigeon, bufflehead) were putting on a great show. The merlin arrived, causing all the shorebirds to flush and creating a fantastic spectacle. The regular California, Ring-billed and Western gulls have been joined by MEW GULLS over the last few weeks, and today there were 21 spread across the flats. As I was heading back to my car, I was delighted to see a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW in with a group of white-crowned sparrows, almost directly across from the Haskins Way parking lot (see eBird checklist from this evening for White-throated sparrow photos : http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40349776).

It's great to be out on lovely days like today :-)

Good birding,

Adam

Join us on Facebook!