Date: 11/6/17 5:37 pm
From: Brad Jackson <in-bird-l...>
Subject: Re: [IN-BIRD-L] Red Crossbills Nov 3 - Type 2, 3, and 4
After listening to the vocalizations of the types, I believe the flight song I heard at Camp Tecumseh this week was Type II, unkinked. The birds were in red pines, and not long after I first saw the flock, the birds flew to another group of pines beyond the horse corral, and then flew off the property. To my knowledge, they did not return. I heard the flight call as they were over the corral.
Brad Jackson

On Monday, November 6, 2017 5:41 PM, Don Gorney <in-bird-l...> wrote:

On November 3, Becky Heck and I visited Dunes State Park specifically for the Red Crossbills while we were at the lakefront.  We had a minimum of 62 birds at the parking lot east of the gatehouse. I managed to get two recordings that were very poor in quality.

I heard from Matt Young today about the recordings. He said the first recording at the linked checklist below contains Type 2, 3, and 4 birds.  The second recording is inconclusive as to the types of Red Crossbills. An overview of Red Crossbill types is as http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/recrtype/

My checklist from Nov 3.

Don Gorney
Indianapolis, IN
317.501.4212
dongorney AT yahoo.com

#yiv6253913619 -- P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}#yiv6253913619

Join us on Facebook!