Date: 11/6/17 4:21 pm
From: Bart Deferme <bdeferme...>
Subject: [cobirds] Golden-crowned Kinglets
I've been visiting Castlewood Canyon State Park regularly for years now,
and in September I started a project called One Year in Castlewood Canyon:
one calendar year of regular logging of as many species of plants, mammals,
birds, reptiles and fungi as possible in the park. (facebook.com/oneyearincc
)

It took me quite a while to find my first Golden-crowned Kinglet when I
started birding. Several years ago, I spotted my first one: a single male,
mixed in with Ruby-crowned Kinglets and chickadees.

Since the beginning of my project in September, I have seen more GCKI's in
the park than ever before: flocks ranging between 5 and 15 individuals seem
to be present at all times, and are very vocal and visible. I am not sure
if they were breeding successfully there this summer, or if a travelling
flocks has taken up temporary residence there. I had 14 GCKI's this
morning, frantically foraging close to the water at the Creek Bottom trail.

If GCKI is a target bird for you, I recommend paying them a visit in
Castlewood Canyon.

Happy birding,

Bart Deferme
Arapahoe County