Date: 11/6/17 2:46 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
 A large crowd of 30 birders spread out this morning on the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk, and tallied 42 species.  Our Bird of the Week was a lone White-winged Scoter loitering around with some Mallards.  Several of our band took photographs of this bird, confirming the ID.  Other highlights included a large flock of American Goldfinches in low shrubs near the west end of the boardwalk; a couple of Palm Warblers, one showing off very effectively; and a large group of Mourning Doves.
Canada Goose  15
Mallard  26
Northern Pintail  1
White-winged Scoter  1
Great Blue Heron  9
Black Vulture  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Ring-billed Gull  4
gull sp.  4
Mourning Dove  58
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  5
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue Jay  11
American Crow  16
Fish Crow  2
crow sp.  2
Carolina Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  8
Brown Creeper  1
Carolina Wren  6
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  15
American Robin  8
Gray Catbird  1
Palm Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  3
White-throated Sparrow  15
Song Sparrow  15
Swamp Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  6
Red-winged Blackbird  15
Common Grackle  50
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  30

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from March through October), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Friends of Huntley Meadows Park