Date: 11/6/17 1:53 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (05 Nov 2017) 46 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 46 295 13095

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Majors, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (9): Maria Zouras, Elias Zouras, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Carol
Majors, Lana Glass, Colleen DelMonte, Mike Gardner, Kathleen Pileggi .
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy with Drizzle (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 1,200 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 54 - 65F, Winds SE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (55) and Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Fall Back, Elias…Maria Won’t Catch You until an Hour
Later”---

Here I am feeling all refreshed having gotten an extra hour of insomnia
last night. My usual trouble sleeping had longer to manifest itself.

Our regular Sunday Bucktoe bird walk was first today, beginning “an hour
early,” (for you and I) with the EXTREMELY well-advertised time change
occurring overnight. Of course, Maria and Elias, ever in touch with the
“times,” were here over an hour early – having to leave and get coffee to
waste time. (A terrible use for coffee, by the way) I blame them being an
hour early squarely on Maria and her new binoculars. I don’t know how I
justify that, I just do. But Elias that’s one demerit for you on your
“male badge,” buddy! You should have seen through Maria’s misguided,
uninformed and most certainly, ill-timed messages on when to arrive today.
Beneath that docile and sweet façade of hers, lies a woman always an hour
late or early for something (seasonally dependent). Come on Elias, do “us
guys” proud – overcome that late/early “albatross” around your neck – I
know, think “Spring Ahead, Fall Back.” Yah, I’ll coin that phrase. It’ll
never catch on, though… Thanks for the banana bread, guys! You are
TERRIFIC (and so was the bread)!

On the walk we enjoyed a direct Raven flyover – complete with calls.
Later, there were two more at the site.

I broke off from the group to walk up the hill to man the Hawk Watch and
make some of my fine “field brew” for the group to enjoy later during their
walk. You can’t get that stuff just anywhere. What did I find upon
arrival? No, not the Cooper’s Hawk on the MOTUS tower (there was one), but
Maria and Elias already there - and for the past hour, cups in hand! Now,
I know you are right to treasure this fine elixir guys, but I haven’t
brewed it yet. The “birding barista” was otherwise occupied and YOU WILL
NOT waste time with some of my “field coffee!” (No, Maria & Elias weren’t
there, they were still with the group. I kid you Maria & Elias…if I tease
you, I love you. We likely have a problem if I am short, serious, and to
the point.) Fall back, Elias…Maria may catch you! (I’d throw some
cushions down, just in case, though!)

Today’s hawk movement was not as strong as yesterday, but Sharpies were
steady.

Elsewhere, Brown Creepers are being reported back for the winter and a late
Lincoln’s Sparrow was reported on a property along the Octorara Creek. (SB)
Juncos are widespread in backyards now. (AR)
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
8-Ring-billed Gull, 3-Herring Gull, 1-Belted Kingfisher, 1-Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, 2-COMMON RAVEN, 2-Golden-crowned Kinglet, 3-Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, 1-Palm Warbler, 2-Savannah Sparrow, 12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Monarch - 1. Dragonflies (0):
Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail,White-tailed
Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.09; Steps: 7,251; Floors: 12.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 48; this season: 132
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a potential carbon copy of today.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek