Date: 11/6/17 12:51 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Gillson Park Lake Watch #11 Plus 3 Small Inland Lakes Monday 11-6-17
Hello Bird People,

Once again a day of predicted N.E. winds turned into north winds in
the a.m. followed by N.E. winds after mid day. Along with Jeff Sanders
& John Leonard I waited until 10:30 a.m. when the winds were still
straight north. But birds still migrate on north winds it's just that
without an easterly component they aren't blow in close to shore for
better viewing. So although many ducks flew by most were not close
enough for good viewing. Here's my list of not very exciting migrants:

Gillson Park Lake Watch #11 (7:15-10:30 a.m.)

Horned Grebe (1 fly-by)
Mallard (10 fly-bys in 1 group)
Redhead (2 flocks for a total of 16)
Greater Scaup (8 fly-bys)
Scaup Species? (~50)
Common Goldeneye (5 or 6, closer than most of the ducks)
Red Breasted Merganser (about 500, our most common duck)
(100's more ducks too far out to I.D.)
Dark Winged Scoter (2 but far out)
Sanderling (1 landed on the beach & stayed a few minutes)
Dunlin (3 fly-bys)
Nearby land birds were KESTREL (1-M), Crow (1), Starling (3), Junco
(~15) & House Sparrow (2)

Skokie Lagoons From Forest Way Drive (10:45-11 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (groups of 3 & 2)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Goose (22)
Red Tailed Hawk (1)
(No ducks at all)

After lunch I made short stops at Heritage Park, Beck Lake & Big Bend Lake.
Heritage Park had Coots (10), Mallards (74), Canada Geese (356). R.B.
(71) & Herring (2) Gulls

Beck Lake had P.B. Grebe (1), Canada Geese (32), Mallard (1-F) & Ring
Billed Gulls (82)

Big Bend Lake had Canada Geese (33), Mallard (26), Ring Billed (3) &
Herring (1) Gulls

Not 1 migrant duck at the last 4 locations visited.

Nothing to brag about today but Bird-Of-The-Day will be the nice
looking male Kestrel
& Runners-Up to the close in Goldeneye which were the 1st of that
species I've seen this Fall.
Not much but the best I can do today.

Al Stokie
Doing local Cook County birding