Date: 11/6/17 9:53 am
From: Scott Loss <scottrloss...>
Subject: Stillwater White-winged Scoter
A 1st year White-winged Scoter was at the Meridian Tech ponds this morning
on the west side of Stillwater. It was hanging out with a group of
Redheads, Northern Shovelers, and Ruddy Ducks, and it spooked, circled, and
landed a couple times before eventually taking off for good to the east.
Luckily I was able to snap documentation photos before it took off (will be
added to below eBird checklist later), and one other person, Corey Riding,
was able to get there to see it before it left.

I was actually on my way out to Lake Carl Blackwell because I was thinking
it was good weather/timing for scoters, non-Common Loons, or other rare
waterbird migrants, but I never expected to find a scoter on the relatively
small, shallow Meridian Tech pond.

Lake Carl Blackwell had nothing abnormal, but there was a huge raft of
scaup (~2,500) that had 11 duck species mixed in. I'm guessing there were
Greater Scaup out there, but everything I could ID was a Lesser Scaup. Also
had my first flock of southbound white geese fly over (a mix of Snow and
Ross's Geese).

Boomer Lake also had a decent mix of ducks this morning, including a mixed
flock with all 5 Aythya species (Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, and
Lesser and Greater Scaup).

Scott Loss
Stillwater

Join us on Facebook!