Date: 11/6/17 9:06 am
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Fox Sparrow - deKoevend Park (Arapahoe)
This morning (11/6), I took my dog on an early, cold walk around deKoevend
Park in Centennial, which only seemed to get colder the longer we were out
there. Dozens of juncos, three creepers (a high count for me around
Arapahoe Co.), a very dark Red-tailed Hawk, and a small flock of Cedar
Waxwings sustained us through that cold, long enough to spot a Fox Sparrow
beneath some feeders along the High Line near the park's southwest edge.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aYw-RWiPDFo/WgCLe2LXcVI/AAAAAAAANxI/hJJk777f4fUBB7rrqHWTM0ZWTWCG8K6AACLcBGAs/s1600/DSC_0404%2BFox%2BSparrow.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nqzFnmiozX4/WgCLhPDMRzI/AAAAAAAANxM/3To4oZGUwbY40u6jER-x8dnKBS_uS0sPwCLcBGAs/s1600/DSC_0438%2BFox%2BSparrows.jpg>

About two weeks ago, I thought I heard and saw a Fox Sparrow along this
stretch of the canal trail at deKoevend. It was while walking my dog;
inexplicably, I'd decided not to bring my my binoculars. In the shadows of
the undergrowth along the trail, I spotted a bird that reminded me of a
Song Sparrow x Hermit Thrush -- sparrow+ sized and shaped, with warm
colors. I let Cynthia Madsen know this. We both made follow-up trips to
deKoevend. Neither of us found a Fox Sparrow, though I located a Song
Sparrow in the same general area. So I figured the Song Sparrow had fooled
me, as it so often does. But perhaps this bird has been at deKoevend all
along.

- Jared Del Rosso

Centennial, CO