Date: 11/6/17 9:01 am
From: Mary & Nick Freeman <mnfreeman...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Lewis Woodpeckers galore, 11/5/17
Hi Birders

Nick and I began birding Charlton Flats yesterday morning. Here we found RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH. From a distance we detected FOX SPARROW but of the sooty type. We may have heard Golden-crowned Kinglets as we heard their calls but could never track them down. After lunch at Newcomb Ranch, we met up with Pete Shen and his friend Daren. He reported several Lewis Woodpecker at a campsite at Chilao. We drove to the Manzanita campsite loop and stopped at the first restroom on the right side. Here we estimated about 20 LEWIS WOODPECKER. They were flying from tree to tree, close and far far from us. Their calls are like a mega-White-throated Swift. Wherever the squeaks were heard, there was a Lewis! We were surrounded by these woodpeckers! Also in the area were many PHAINOPEPLA. Their calls (single whistle and downslurred “chrr”) were heard all around the area. LAWRENCE’S GOLDFINCH were singing. Daren found a RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER and a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER. I heard distant RED CROSSBILLS but they did not fly near us. CLARK’S NUTCRACKER was seen at Cloudburst Summit. It was a fruitful and beautiful day on the Crest!

Mary Freeman
Glendale, CA

Listowners: mailto:<LACoBirds-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<LACoBirds-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<LACoBirds-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)