Date: 11/6/17 6:31 am
From: 'Jorgensen, Joel' <Joel.Jorgensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Harris's Hawk - relocated
Ross Silcock called me about 20 minutes ago to report that he relocated the Harris's Hawk in the same general vicinity as Bill found it yesterday. Ross apparently saw the bird from Niobrara State Park, but it flew. Point being, it is still in the area.

For people wondering, this is the fourth potential record for Harris's Hawk. The report will need to be reviewed by the NOU's Records Committee. Two of the three records were also about this time of year (26 and 28 Oct), which suggests a pattern of fall dispersal and lends credibility that the bird is a natural vagrant. The current records are as follows:

26 Oct 2012 Lancaster Co; road-killed bird found and photographed
28 Oct 1922 Douglas Co specimen
13 and 27 Jan 1995 Stateline Island, Scotts Bluff Co

BTW, odds a good that I'd catch wind of a lost falconry bird from a Nebraska falconer. I have heard nothing yet. I don't see any evidence to suspect a lost falconry bird at this juncture.

Congrats to Bill on the great find!

-Joel

Joel Jorgensen | Nongame Bird Program Manager
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
2200 N. 33rd 68503 | 402.471.5440
<joel.jorgensen...><mailto:<joel.jorgensen...>

Join us on Facebook!