Date: 11/6/17 3:19 am
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: RBA ZT Hawk in Wash
Like Jeff, I actively look for Zone-tailed Hawk in Oregon with the expectation that one will eventually be found in the state. I see them annually in south Texas, where Shawneen and I are currently. There are recent Zone-tailed Hawk records for Massachusetts and New Jersey (probably the same bird) and as I recall, Ontario.

Speaking of Oregon birders finding good birds away from home, yesterday Shawneen and I along with Ann Nightingale from B.C. and
Jm Danzenbaker from Battle Ground, WA found two Tamulipas Crows on South Padre Island. Incredibly, one was photographed 42 miles off Port Aransas, TX just three days earlier. These are the first Tamulipas Crow records in the U.S. in about a decade. We got good photos. Any crow in the Rio Grande Valley is a rarity, with Tamulipas being the only species remotely expected.

We spotted the first bird flying due south over the convention center and watched it disappear over a distant apartment building. We then jumped in the car and sped about three miles to the south to a spot near the bridge to the island where there is both access and an expansive view scape along the mostly private and heavily developed bay front. We were hoping that the bird would continue south and that we would intercept it again and be able to get photos. I have rarely had success with this sort of chase strategy, but it worked yesterday. We waited only about two minutes before the still southbound bird came into distant view being chased by grackles. When it was still about a quarter mile away we realized it had been joined by a second bird. We watched and snapped photos as the two crows flew right past us.

I initially spotted the first bird at the convention center as it flew over a small gap in the trees. There were about two seconds that passed as I watched the bird before all the dots connected and I blurted out “$&@t that was a CROW!”

Pretty wild to get that excited about a crow, but it’s big news down here.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 5, 2017, at 9:25 PM, Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...><mailto:<jeffgilligan10...>> wrote:

Quite the coincidence. Recently while doing a sea watch with Darrell Faxon he mentioned that he had seen one some years ago (near his farm I believe) in fall.

I see the species every winter in Arizona. They are easy to pass off as Turkey Vultures. I have looked for one in Oregon for years, but mine have all been Turkey Vultures. Birds seen at unusual times of year for Turkey Vultures should be given close scrutiny. Zone-tailed seven do the rocky flight of. a Turkey Vulture.

Neat find by Em and Adrian.

Jeff Gilligan

On Nov 5, 2017, at 3:56 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...><mailto:<acontrer56...>> wrote:

“Matt Dufort reports that Adrian Hinkle and Em Scattaregia found an apparent Zone-Tailed Hawk in #NeahBay Washington. Would be the first for Washington and maybe the first for the northwest region?”

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

<acontrer56...><mailto:<acontrer56...>

www.alanlcontreras.com<http://www.alanlcontreras.com>

POST: Send your post to <obol...><mailto:<obol...>
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol<http://www.freelists.org/archive/obol>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...><mailto:<obol-moderators...>

POST: Send your post to <obol...><mailto:<obol...>
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol<http://www.freelists.org/archive/obol>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...><mailto:<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!