Date: 11/5/17 5:04 pm
From: Phil <phil_reyburn_24...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Northern Shrike - Adams County
Yesterday afternoon Pat and I received news that an area farmer, while
stock-chopping a corn field, had kicked up a couple of Short-eared Owls.
And knowing that a few years back Adam and I had had a Short-eared Owl
nearby, we decided to check out the lead. Cutting to the chase, we saw a
Short-eared Owl. A nice year bird in what has been a down year.

On the way home I opted to go through the Canton Chute access area and
look for a N. Harrier. No luck, but we did get a look at a Shrike
(noticed bobbing tail). Since I didn't make a positive ID, I just
mentioned it in passing to Jason Mullins.

Jason was in the area today, and found the bird and positively
identified it as a Northern Shrike. See EbirdĀ  photos. Adam saw the bird
too.

Canton Chute is in what is known locally as the "north bottoms."

Phil Reyburn

Quincy. Adams Co.

Posted by: Phil <phil_reyburn_24...>

<*> Your email settings: